Thanks for the reply Chouser,

Yeah, I figured it would be like that. No "this" value actually exists
until after the init function is called.

The reason I'm asking about this is that it's quite standard practice
to set up some parameters inside the constructor of a class.

ie. A use-case like this is quite common, and (I think) reasonable.

public class MyThread extends Thread{
  public MyThread(){
    setName("This is my thread");
  }
}

So whenever the user creates an instance of MyThread, he can be
guaranteed that the thread's name has already been appropriately set.

How would you do this in Clojure?