Sean Corfield <s...@corfield.org> writes:

> A new function, reducible-query, has been added that accepts a db-spec
> and a SQL/parameters vector, and returns a “reducible collection”. The
> query doesn’t actually run until you reduce it. At that point, it sets
> up the PreparedStatement, runs the query, and processes the ResultSet
> – by creating an interim “reducible collection” version of that result
> set and delegating your reduce operation to that. The connection is
> automatically closed when reduction completes, either by processing
> the entire result set or by returning a ‘reduced’ value.

How does one force the jdbc driver to return results lazily when using
reducible-query?

Currently I'm using the following code to force postgresql into
streaming mode:

    (jdbc/with-db-connection [conn config/db]
      (.setAutoCommit (jdbc/db-find-connection conn) false)
      (jdbc/query conn
                  query
                  {:fetch-size 500
                   :result-set-fn (fn [coll] (doall (take 2 coll)))}))

(config/db is map describing a postgresql connection, query is an sql
query)

This works as expected.

Trying to to the same with reducible-query with something like:

    (into [] (take 2) (jdbc/reducible-query config/db query {:fetch-size 500}))

results in a 'GC overhead limit exceeded' error. The postgresql driver
isn't streaming the results, but instead returns the whole result in one
large response.

I don't have the ability to call .setAutoCommit on the connection in
that case.

I would very much like an easy way to turn on streaming (e.g. by passing
{:use-streaming? true} as an option).

Do you have any plans for that?

Thanks for your work on java.jdbc.

--