I'm writing a program that will have millions of small structures in
it.  If I were writing in C (or Java I guess), I estimate the object
size to be about 40 bytes.  In Clojure, using a struct map I've made a
rough measure & I think that the objects are weighing in at about
200bytes.

1) I know that my measurement methods suck (cons up a big list, look
at the total usage count & try to adjust for list overhead) - is there
a good way that I can measure the size in memory of my structmap?
2) Is there a good way to optimize the size of these objects in
Clojure?  I'd prefer to stay within Clojure, but my current plan to
squeeze the smallest size out is to move to a Java object.

I also know the types of the struct members, and most of them are
32bit numbers.  Eliminating dynamic types from the struct is probably
important for overall size.

Any thoughts?

Cheers,
Brad