I'm wondering if it's possible to create a Clojure function that does what
the dot operator does. It seems like this would be possible with definline
but I'm unable to get this to work or figure it out.  For example I want to
be able write something like the following:
(dot "Hello world" (list 'substring 1 2))

Trying to use definline like this:

(definline dot
  [obj member-exp]
  `(. ~obj (~...@member-expr)))

Simply throws an error.

I don't need variable arity, I will always pass an instance or class
following by a list representing the member expression.

Is this impossible?

It seems like this would be generally useful to allow variable method
calling on Java objects. As to why I want it to implement this, it would be
far simpler to support Java interop from clj-cont if the dot operator could
be expressed as a Clojure function.

Thanks!
David