On Fri, 3 Apr 2009 07:20:39 -0700 (PDT)
Daniel Jomphe <danieljom...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Since I can't find the way to solve this issue, let's tackle it at a
> more fundamental level.
>
> First, I need to make sure I can print to standard output without
> using *out*, so I can later, temporarily bind *out* to something else.
> Also, I don't want to print directly to System/out. Later, I'll need
> it to be wrapped into something that gives it a proper encoding.
>
>   user=> (import '(java.io PrintWriter PrintStream))
>   nil
>   user=> (.print (PrintWriter. (PrintStream. System/out) true)
> "bonjour")
>   nil
>
> Do you know how to make this work?

I'm not sure if this is what you're asking, but...

Could you just make a new Var (like *always-stdout* or something) and
assign *out* to it at program start? This way the dynamic bindings on
*out* don't affect your new Var and you can continue using it to access
the "real" stdout.

I haven't tested this, just a suggestion :)

-Kyle