Possibly of interest: I saw a presentation about IBM's experimental
X10 language.  (Why they named it after the most annoying ad campaign
in the history of the web, I'll never know.)

X10 is an extension to Java for concurrency and cluster computing.
The basic idea is to make it possible to write a normal, procedural
program, with a few extra keywords that handle concurrency.

It has some things in common with Clojure.  It separates mutable
("var") & immutable ("val") data, and has special keywords to indicate
that a particular computation is synchronous ("finish") or
asynchronous ("async").

A difference from Clojure is that X10 is designed to operate across
multiple processors/machines, even across different architectures,
within a single program (e.g. you could offload math-intensive
operations to a GPU).  Data locality is enforced -- a thread can only
manipulate objects within its local address space (called a "place").
If you want to manipulate data in another "place", you have to send
the code there with an operator called "at".

-Stuart Sierra