On May 14, 2009, at 7:54 PM, Stephen C. Gilardi wrote:

> On May 14, 2009, at 7:13 PM, Ian Eure wrote:
>
>> I'm trying to process mid/large result sets with Clojure, and not
>> having any success.
>>
>> (ns foo
>> (:require [clojure.contrib.sql :as sql]))
>>
>> (def *db* {:classname "com.mysql.jdbc.Driver"
>>         :subprotocol "mysql"
>>         :subname "//DSN"
>>         :user "read"
>>         :password "swordfish"})
>>
>> (sql/with-connection *db*
>> (sql/with-query-results rs ["SELECT * FROM Foo;"]
>>  (prn "Done")))
>>
>> When I run this at the REPL, it dies with:
>> java.lang.OutOfMemoryError: Java heap space (NO_SOURCE_FILE:0)
>
> I would expect the code above to use minimal memory, at most a tiny
> fraction of what it would take to cache all the results. I tried a
> similar experiment with Derby (based on the code in
> clojure.contrib.sql.test). I used visualvm to profile the memory
> usage of the read and in my experiment, the results fit the
> expectation.
>
> I recommend you take a look at your setup using visualvm or yourkit
> or the like. You'll be able to get more visibility into what kinds
> of objects are taking up so much memory in your case.

I'm not having any luck at all. I tried visualvm, but it seems that it
doesn't support memory profiling unless you're running JDK 6. I
switched my default version (I'm on OS X here), and visualvm refuses
to start:

2009-05-15 14:03:15.495 java[41205:10b] Apple AWT Startup Exception :
*** -[NSCFArray insertObject:atIndex:]: attempt to insert nil
2009-05-15 14:03:15.496 java[41205:10b] Apple AWT Restarting Native
Event Thread

I'm a Clojure newb, and I know even less about Java. What now, run it
on Debian?

- Ian