On Aug 9, 6:08 am, Nicolas Oury <nicolas.o...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > If I do my pmaptest with a very large Integer (inc 2000000000) instead
> > of (inc 0), it is as slow as the double version. My question is,
> > whether Clojure may has a special handling for small integers? Like
> > using primitives for small ints and doing a new Integer for larger
> > ones?
>
> It seems a confirmation that it is a memory allocation related problem.
> (I think for some reason, this is store as a long, the same size as a
> double).
>
> This can means two things:
>  - as I hypothesized before, we are measuring the memory bandwidth
>  - we fill the Thread Local Heap so fast, that there is a lock
> contention for the common heap.
>
> I don't know how to separate one from the another...
You could write a task that doesn't allocate, but does hammer on
memory bandwidth & have this run in parallel at the same time.  You'd
need an array that is larger than your cache, and then stride through
it at cache line size steps.  If the runtime doesn't decrease then you
are seeing lock contention.

Cheers,
Brad