On 23 Sep., 15:33, John Harrop <jharrop...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Sep 23, 2009 at 8:50 AM, Philipp Meier <phme...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Remember that clojure runs in the JVM and a JVM can have a
> > SecurityManager which can be configured to allow or deny at most any
> > dangeroues operatíon. A java policy file will to the trick, I think.
>
> That plausibly helps against malicious I/O and changing the JVM settings
> (System.setProperty() etc.) but I don't see it doing much about a simple
> memory-and/or-CPU-exhaustion loop.

You're right. For threads not hanging you could monitor the execution
time of a evaluation thread and suspend a hangung thread using the
java debugger interface (http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.5.0/docs/guide/
jpda/jdi/). Perhaps VisualVM can throw in some technology to monitor
actual runtime of the thread and and memory consumption.

However this is a rather fragile topic for java. Spawning some
additional jvms will probably do better.