On Dec 21, 3:09 pm, pmf <phil.fr...@gmx.de> wrote:
> On Dec 20, 7:22 pm, nathaniel <nathan...@photino.org> wrote:
>
> > Does anyone know of Clojure features
> > which rely on Java features that would be prohibitively difficult to
> > implement in C++?
>
> You might run into the problem than any C++ garbage collector you find
> will probably not be quite as efficient as the JVM's garbage collector
> (I don't think it would be possible to implement Clojure without a
> GC). Additionally, a lot of Clojure's concurrency features rely on
> Java's concurrency mechanisms and how these are mapped to the JVM's
> concurrency semantics and memory model, for which you will also have
> to find a suitable C++ library.

Yes, if you want to port Clojure to native code it might be easier to
use a host language that already has these features but closely
resembles C++.
Candidates are D and the new Google Go.
Go in particular seems interesting because one of their goals is to
make a very efficient GC and the language is somewhat multicore aware.

/mac