"Steven E. Harris" <s...@panix.com> writes:

> This morning, doing so makes things work much better.

Still I see this in the *inferior-lisp* buffer when starting slime:

,----
| (require 'swank.swank)
|
| (swank.swank/ignore-protocol-version "2009-12-23")
|
| (swank.swank/start-server "c:/DOCUME~1/seh/LOCALS~1/Temp/slime.3420"
:encoding "iso-latin-1-unix")

| Listening for transport dt_socket at address: 8888
| Clojure 1.1.0
| user=>
| WARNING: reader macro ^ is deprecated; use meta instead
| WARNING: reader macro ^ is deprecated; use meta instead
| WARNING: reader macro ^ is deprecated; use meta instead
| WARNING: reader macro ^ is deprecated; use meta instead
| WARNING: reader macro ^ is deprecated; use meta instead
| WARNING: reader macro ^ is deprecated; use meta instead
| WARNING: reader macro ^ is deprecated; use meta instead
| WARNING: reader macro ^ is deprecated; use meta instead
| WARNING: reader macro ^ is deprecated; use meta instead
| nil
| user=> user=> "2009-12-23"
| user=> user=> Connection opened on local port  3464
| #<ServerSocket ServerSocket[addr=0.0.0.0/0.0.0.0,port=0,localport=3464]>
| user=> user=> user=>
`----

Note that I'm using Clojure 1.1.0. Could that be the problem?
This is within GNU Emacs 23.1.1 on Windows XP.

Once that *inferior-lisp* buffer is up, if I run `slime-repl', the REPL
may take an arbitrarily long time to finally connect to Swank. And if it
does ever connect, and I shut it down via the "sayoonara" command, I
can't get it to start again successfully.

--
Steven E. Harris