I haven't looked at how hard this would be to implement in Clojure; it
would be nice if there was those features (let me specify how to hash
keys, let me specify how to compare keys).

PersistentHashMap calls Util.hash(key), which calls key.hashCode().

You could use fnmap to replace input Strings with a CaseInsensitiveString implementation that does hashing and comparison case-insensitively...

Otherwise you'd probably need to subclass PHM and reimplement any method that calls Util.hash.