Yeah, I was being a bit too glib. One of my favorite things about
Clojure is definitely what you mention.

As for the matter at hand, the name 'reductions' is perhaps more
descriptive but the con is that it less standard and almost three
times as long as 'scan'. The importance of descriptiveness in names is
often overstated. Someone who has never seen this function before
might perhaps see the name and correctly guess a relationship of some
sort with 'reduce'. But that does not help him much in his quest to
understanding the code if he has no experience with scans. I find
recognizability and memorability is usually a more important metric.
Anyway, I don't want to derail this thread any further. :)

-Per