Maven has a default search path, but it only works for the standard
plugins distributed by Apache.

To use the Clojure plugin (any of the clojure:* commands) the pom.xml
must contain a section like this:

  <build>
    <plugins>
     <plugin>
        <groupId>com.theoryinpractise</groupId>
        <artifactId>clojure-maven-plugin</artifactId>
        <version>1.3.2</version>
      </plugin>
    </plugins>
  </build>

Incanter is divided into several different modules, each with its own
pom.xml.  Some of them include the Clojure plugin, some do not
(presumably they don't need it).

Incanter's top-level pom.xml does not include the Clojure plugin, so
clojure:* goals will not work in the top-level project directory.  In
some of the module directories, such as "modules/incanter-app", the
clojure:* goals should work.

-SS