I've been trying for the best part of a month to get SLIME/SWANK/ Clojure/clojure-mode working in emacs 23.2 on Mac OS X 10.5 without using ELPA, which unfortunately seems to break everything including itself in my setup.

Using Bill Clementson's checkout recommendations (see below) I've got to the point where I can type in the Clojure 1.2.0 *inferior-lisp* REPL buffer (with no prompt) and have the reader eval output appear in the SLIME REPL buffer, but SLIME seems to think I'm in some unspecified Common Lisp (the prompt is "CL-USER> ") and I can't enter anything in the SLIME REPL.

Here are the checkout URL recommendations I've gleaned:

Bill Clementson:
svn http://clojure.googlecode.com/svn/trunk/
git://github.com/jochu/clojure-mode.git
git://github.com/jochu/swank-clojure.git
svn http://clojure-contrib.googlecode.com/svn/trunk/
cvs common-lisp.net:/project/slime/cvsroot

# AEvar's version
git://github.com/richhickey/clojure.git
git://github.com/technomancy/clojure-mode.git
git://github.com/jochu/swank-clojure.git
git://github.com/richhickey/clojure-contrib.git
git://github.com/technomancy/slime.git

# Brent Millare's version
git://github.com/richhickey/clojure.git
git://github.com/jochu/clojure-mode.git
git://github.com/technomancy/swank-clojure.git
git://github.com/richhickey/clojure-contrib.git
git://github.com/technomancy/leiningen.git

# http://riddell.us/ClojureWithEmacsSlimeSwankOnUbuntu.html:
git://github.com/jochu/clojure-mode.git
git://github.com/jochu/swank-clojure.git
git://git.boinkor.net/slime.git

I very much hope that you all can give me firm and final "yes" or "no" verdicts on each of these lines.

--
Phil Hudson                      PGP/GnuPG ID: 0x887DCA63