I apologize for apparently re-opening some fresh wounds.

I wasn't trying to assert that these guidelines should be universally
adopted or enforced.

There are a number of conventions that exist for writing lisp, and I
thought that this paper was interesting because it
- collects and explicitly states many of these conventions which are
  rarely spelled out explicitly
- attempts to explain some of the conventions that can be mystifying at
  first
- offers genuinely good readability and maintenance reasons for some of
  the mentioned conventions

but please, don't mis-understand my intentions, I see nothing wrong with
personal coding idosynchronies, I myself have been known to drop the
occasional

  ((fn [el]
     (body-which-uses el))
   (form-which-defines-el))

just because I've grown tired of `let'.  That said even if you don't
follow common conventions it can be useful to know what they are.

Sorry for troll baiting, it was not my intent. -- Eric