How are other people handling the process of reducing code in their
projects?

Situation: We've built a product, very rapidly thanks to being able to
produce stuff very quickly in clojure. However now that it is somewhat
settled I'm in the process of paring down the code, removing defunct fn's,
etc.

Problem: You compile your code, you test it, you pare down some functions or
rename a function and push that into the VM - hit refresh, everything works.
However there is a chance you are actually using a function which you have
removed from the source code. i.e. you missed a reference in another file or
something similar. Most recently I removed a pointless wrapper fn around
another fn, however the wrapped fn was declared private. Everything seemed
to be working until I compiled the source and found out that my fn's were
calling the wrappee which was still in scope within the VM .

I've now started to use lein uberjar to point out cases that I'm doing this
- and it's fine for now, however it is a bit of a throwback to the pains of
Java development.

Another solution I've been using is to regularly restart my running clojure
instance, however this has the annoyance of me losing all my locally defined
vars during dev.

Thanks for any suggestions on 'dev best practices' in this space.

Cheers,

mike