Ken,

Holy crap. Thank you for this wonderful message.

My apologies for taking a while to respond, but your email has somewhat
disarmed me. I'm very impressed with your knowledge of math, and I felt at once
eager to read and understand your email and was taken aback by it, as my math
skills are a bit rusty unfortunately (a fact I'm not proud of).

> As I said, one wheel makes a and b increase by one mod 3 and the other
> makes b and c increase. Mod is linear -- if a mod 3 cycles by 1, (a +
> b) mod 3 goes up by 1. So each wheel increases b by one, and increases
> exactly one of a and c, so (a + c) mod 3 increases by 1. Since both
> were zero and every move increases both by one (modulo 3), they stay
> equal.

Thanks, that does indeed make it clearer, but I'm still impressed that you saw
this. I guess you've had more experience with this sort of reasoning than I,
but still, very well done sir!

> Or you can visualize a 3x3x3 cube [...] Those moves in various combinations
> give you a
> tilted plane inside the cube that amounts to 9 of its 27 cells. (2 2
> 1) happens to be in one of the other two planes of 9 cells at that
> angle.

Indeed, a nice way of visualizing the situation, but one that is far from my
way of thinking. I guess I really should probably dust off my copy of
Princeton's Companion to Mathematics... not enough time unfortunately. :-\

> Or you can resort to linear algebra and note right away that you have
> a vector space over Z_3 and two vectors, (1 1 0) and (0 1 1), which
> will span a planar subspace. Their cross product (1 -1 1) should be
> perpendicular.

I see that is true as well... Nicely done sir! :-D

> Or you can resort to group theory...

I am a bit grateful (though still curios) that you chose not to expand on this
one, as my knowledge of mathematics doesn't extend to group theory, and I
barely escaped your other examples with my ego intact! :-p

Cheers!

- Greg