The cool way is to use Tom Faulhaber's cl-format in clojure.pprint:
http://clojure.github.com/clojure/#clojure.pprint

(use '[clojure.contrib.pprint :only (cl-format)])
(cl-format true "This is a ~A string.~%" 'funky)
This is a funky string.

I have a mini-tutorial plus links here:
http://www.gettingclojure.com/cookbook:sequences#commas

Have all good days,