> I was wondering if anyone has been working
> on implementing a bit syntax for Clojure in the rough conceptual style
> of Erlang's bit syntax.

I'm not an erlang-pro, just dabbled enough to know I like the pattern
matching, which is what you're talking about here, I believe.

> I'm looking for a Clojure adaptation of the core
> concept and tool as it exists in Erlang

So, as I understand it, in erlang you have a function and each
implementation of that function is guarded by a pattern, in the case of the
bit syntax you're able to look at arbitrary binary data.

I think compojure provides an interesting template for this; instead of
defining `routes` you define patterns (expressed however you want, you just
need to create the macros for it), when those patterns match you execute the
accompanying forms.

The major issue I see here is performance, you would probably have to copy
everything off the buffer to actually run it through the pattern matching
function. I suppose the copying could be limited to just when you have a
full packet, so you'd need another set of logic for defining what a full
packet is, IRC erlang does this too when you define your socket options.

To that point...

 I've also seen Zach Tellman's Gloss[2], but I'm not sure
> it's what I want. It is highly likely I've missed something

I was at Zach's gloss talk two weeks ago and I think it is definitely what
you want, at least to start: https://github.com/ztellman/gloss/wiki