long long time since I last looked a clojure, but I've never lost
interest and I'm trying to find the time again.

for the short version see "*INCONSISTENT*", in the example at the end.

I know what the answer will be here.  Something like "you will get
used to it". or "it's not important". or "no one hardly uses lists
anymore, anyway, since vectors are not purely contiguous".  But, if
you can make things better and it's easy, then why not?

So here's the deal:

I still think the following is only inconsistent because that's how it
was in older lisps.  Specifically, lists had to be quoted so the first
argument wouldn't be called as a function.  I asked long ago (here and
in person) why, then regular functions couldn't require the quote so
the paren could be reserved for the list data structure, and Rich
answered that it'd simply be a pain to have to quote every function
call.  Well, my mind moves slowly.  I'm just now realizing to ask,
"Ok, then how about making the list really be defined using the single
quote as part of it just like sets include the sharp to distinguish
them from maps?".  That's a much simpler explanation than saying, "you
have to escape them, etc, etc." I realize this is a small matter since
all I am talking about is how lists are represented as text.

checking out the "Try Clojure":

if you type the following, you get output that matches what you typed
in every case except for lists.

Vectors: --> [1 2 3 4]
[1 2 3 4]

Maps: --> {:foo "bar" 3 4}
{:foo "bar" 3 4}

Lists: --> '(1 2 3 4)
(1 2 3 4)  <----- *INCONSISTENT* why not render this as '(1 2 3 4) ...
this would make much more sense to newbies.

Sets: --> #{1 2 3 4}
#{1 2 3 4}