On Friday, October 26, 2012 11:11:48 PM UTC-4, daveray wrote:

> I guess I looking for a magical line-seq that closes the file correctly
> even if you consume part of the sequence, is resilient to exceptions,
> etc, etc. I realize that it might be impossible, so I asked. :)

It's been discussed extensively in the past, but no one has come up with a
solution that adequately solves the general problem. See
http://dev.clojure.org/display/design/Resource+Scopes for examples of some
attempts.

The best approach I've found is to manage resources like files farther up
the stack. Instead of having a 'with-open' block that returns a sequence,
put the 'with-open' block at a higher level, so that it encompasses the
entire scope in which the file will be used.

-S