`spit` calls `str` on its argument, which has the same behavior as `print`
or `println` with regard to quoting strings:

user=> (println "I say, \"Hello, World!\"")
I say, "Hello, World!"
nil

To preserve data in its `read`able form, you need `pr` or `prn`:

user=> (prn "I say, \"Hello, World!\"")
"I say, \"Hello, World!\""
nil

Note that with `prn` the string is enclosed in double-quotes and quotation
marks inside the string are backslash-escaped.

You can still use `spit` as you were before, just call `pr-str` on the data
first:

user=> (pr-str "I say, \"Hello, World!\"")
"\"I say, \\\"Hello, World!\\\"\""

-S