On 10/01/14, Colin Yates wrote:
> I have a sequence of file names and I want to make them unique.  (uniquify
> ["a" "b" "c" "a"]) => ["a" "b" "c" "a_1"])
>
> This is what I have come up with, but surely there is a better way?
>
> What would you all do?  Feedback welcome (including the word 'muppet' as I
> am sure I have missed something simple) :)
>
> (defn uniquify
>   "Return a sequence, in the same order as s containing every element
>   of s. If s (which is presumed to be a string) occurs more than once
>   then every subsequent occurrence will be made unique.
>
>   Items will be updated to include an incrementing numeric count using
>   the specified formatter function. The formatter function will be
>   given the name and the number and should return a combination of the
>   two.
>
>   The set of unique s's in the returned sequence will be the count of
>   s's in s."
>   ([s] (uniquify s (fn [item duplicates] (str item "_" duplicates))))
>   ([s formatter]
>      (let [occurrences (atom {})
>            register-occurrence (fn [item]
>                                  (if (get @occurrences item)
>                                    (swap! (get @occurrences item) inc)
>                                    (swap! occurrences assoc item (atom 1)))
>                                  @(get @occurrences item))
>            process (fn [item]
>                      (let [duplicates (dec (register-occurrence item))]
>                        (if (> duplicates 0)
>                          (formatter item duplicates)
>                          item)))
>            unique-s (map process s)]
>        unique-s)))

I came up with the following version:

    (defn uniquify [words]
      (loop [encountered {}
             result []
             remaining words]
        (if (seq remaining)
          (let [word (first remaining)
                occurences (get encountered word)
                modified (if occurences
                           (str word "_" occurences)
                           word)]
            (recur (update-in encountered [word] (fnil inc 0))
                   (conj result modified)
                   (rest remaining)))
          result)))

It is a bit Scheme-ish.  It builds a map of number of occurences as it
builds a vector, containing the result.  It uses the map to figure out
whether to add a suffix or not.  It preserves the original order of the
names.  The variable names could use some love, but I don't have the
time for it now.

If you want a lazy version, some modification is needed.
--
Stefan Kanev Ś @skanev Ś http://skanev.com/
Giving up on assembly language was the apple in our Garden of Eden: Languages