Hello David,

I had set myself the constraint that I wanted the solution to exploit two
symmetries:
(1) The top left and top right of the diamond are mirror images
(2) The top half and bottom half of the diamond are also mirror images

>I'm assuming you used a TDD process to write this (correct me if
wrong--basing that on the articles you linked to)
I was on a train commuting back home, and what I did was sit in a loop
where I wrote some code and then tweaked it until executing it in the REPL
gave me the part of the diamond that I wanted, by eyeballing the console
output. What a coincidence that in your gist you linked to
http://blog.jayfields.com/2014/01/repl-driven-development.html . I was
looking at exactly that blog post on Sunday to determine if what I had been
doing could be classified as REPL-based? Still not sure. Thoughts?

My first version of the code was this
<https://gist.github.com/philipschwarz/c7e3be1ac97e482d04bf>:

(defn print-diamond [letter]
  (let [alphabet "ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ"
        position-of (fn [letter] (inc (- (int letter) (int \A))))
        number-of-letters (position-of letter)
        dashes (fn [n] (repeat n \-))
        fixed-text-for (fn [letter] (concat (dashes (dec (position-of letter)))
(list letter)))
        template (map fixed-text-for (take number-of-letters alphabet))
        pad-with-trailing-dashes (fn [index line] (concat line (dashes (dec (-
number-of-letters index)))))
        top-right-quadrant (map-indexed pad-with-trailing-dashes template)
        top-left-quadrant (map reverse (map rest (take number-of-letters
top-right-quadrant)))
        top-half (map concat top-left-quadrant top-right-quadrant)
        diamond (concat top-half (drop 1 (reverse top-half)))]
    (doseq [line (map #(apply str %) diamond)]
      (println line))))

I showed it to Extreme Programming and Agile Guru Ron Jeffries, and the
following conversation ensued:

@philip_schwarz 1st stab at Clojure print-diamond using symmetries
identified by @TotherAlistair @RonJeffries @gdinwiddie @sebrose
https://gist.github.com/philipschwarz/c7e3be1ac97e482d04bf
@RonJeffries @philip_schwarz *can people read that and figure out what it
does? *i can't but not a closure person. @totheralistair @gdinwiddie
@sebrose
@philip_schwarz @RonJeffries @TotherAlistair @gdinwiddie @sebrose *I like
defns of top-half & diamond & think they r graspable-ish; top-left-quadrant
less so*
@philip_schwarz one interesting Q for us all is *if one didn't know the
prob could one grok the prog* @totheralistair @gdinwiddie @sebrose
@gdinwiddie .@RonJeffries I think *the program is generally easier to grok
if you've got the tests, too.* @philip_schwarz @TotherAlistair @sebrose
@philip_schwarz  Dec 3
@gdinwiddie @RonJeffries @TotherAlistair @sebrose agree - I have added
tests:
https://github.com/philipschwarz/diamond-problem-in-clojure/blob/master/test/diamond_problem_in_clojure/core_test.clj

I notice you did not write tests. I also notice that you added comments to
your methods. I like your comments. Find them useful. I am not saying the
following applies to your comments, but it will give you an idea of the
programming culture I am part of. In that culture, comments are looked at
with suspicion:
e.g. 1: https://twitter.com/nzkoz/status/538892801941848064

<https://pbs.twimg.com/media/B3qIJLFCcAEJLWm.jpg>

e.g. 2: "The proper use of comments is to compensate for our failure to
express ourself in code." - Robert C. Martin
e.g. 3: "Comments often are used as a deodorant... often ....comments are
there because the code is bad." - Martin Fowler
e.g. 4:

   - Primary Rule: Comments are for things that *cannot* be expressed in
   code.
   - Redundancy Rule: Comments which restate code must be deleted.
   - Single Truth Rule: If the comment says what the code *could* say, then
   the code must change to make the comment redundant.

In that culture, we aim to use certain implementation patterns that make
comments unnecessary. Also, where possible, the tests act as (executable,
more reliable) documentation.

Moving on, after writing the terse first version of the code, I set out to
*make
my code more readable*.

Are you familiar with Robert Martin's dictum?:

The Three Functions of a s/w module:
* The function it performs while executing
* To afford change. A module that is difficult to change is broken and
needs fixing, even though it works
* *To communicate to its readers. A module that does not communicate is
broken and needs fixing.*

The rationale for making code more readable is an economic one. Here is a
brief summary of Ken't Beck's thoughts on the matter:

o Economics is the underlying driver of software design
o Software should be designed to reduce its overall cost
o COST(total) = COST(develop) + COST(maintain)
o The cost of maintenance is much higher than the initial cost of
development
o Maintenance is expensive because understanding existing code is
time-consuming and error-prone
o Making changes is generally easy once you know what needs changing
o COST(maintain) =  COST(understand) + COST(change)+ COST(test)+
COST(deploy)
o Learning what the code does is the expensive part
o One strategy for reducing overall cost is to invest more in initial
development in hope of reducing or eliminating the need for change
o Such efforts have generally failed
o Beck’s strategy for reducing overall costs is to ask all programmers to
address the cost of understanding code during the maintenance phase, by
communicating programmer to programmer
o The immediate benefits of clear code are fewer defects, easier sharing of
code, and smoother development

TO BE CONTINUED...

Philip