I'd be happy to try more if I had access to any contact info.  As it
is, things in the surrounding code have changed enough that a bit of
re-factoring would need to be done even if there were permission.

My hunch is that unless he's switched roles, once the new version is
released he may come out of the woodwork wondering why that thing he
has a need for and developed is gone.