SDN is more or less an alternative for vlans, which he doesn't want to use
anyway. He has separate network segments already.

There isn't very much good documentation for cloudstack networking. I
wanted to do something similar a few months back and ended up frustrated. I
had vlans, but wanted my VMS to have a public interface on a shared network
and a private interface on a shared network. In the GUI, you can only do
isolated networks in advanced mode. Once I realized that I had to create my
network through the API I realized that I could do pretty much whatever I
wanted with advanced networking.

Outback Dingo, you should be able to do what you want by explicitly setting
the traffic labels to the bridge devices you want. Cloudstack *should* then
forego trying to create a new tagged interface and bridge. You will have to
also create a new shared networking offering through the api that only
provides DHCP and userdata. Then create a new network with that offering,
and VMs attached to that will work on your shared network. I know these are
vague instructions but I'm away from the PC.