in launching new routers with the latest 4.0 build I'm getting no
passwd server, chkconfig --list show it turned off, and even turning
it on, it gets turned off automatically.

root@r-190-VM:~# cat /etc/default/cloud-passwd-srvr
#set ENABLED to 1 if you want the init script to start the password server
ENABLED=1

but...

root@r-190-VM:~# chkconfig --list cloud-passwd-srvr
cloud-passwd-srvr         0:off  1:off  2:off  3:off  4:off  5:off  6:off  S:on

root@r-190-VM:~# chkconfig cloud-passwd-srvr on  # <--
patchsystemvm.sh tries this
root@r-190-VM:~# chkconfig --list cloud-passwd-srvr
cloud-passwd-srvr         0:off  1:off  2:off  3:off  4:off  5:off  6:off  S:on

Notice, no runlevels. Adding the runlevels into Default-Start seems to
fix, but I don't see any recent changes to this file, so I'm left
wondering what used to make this work.

root@r-190-VM:/opt# head /etc/init.d/cloud-passwd-srvr
#!/bin/bash
### BEGIN INIT INFO
# Provides:          cloud-passwd-srvr
# Required-Start:    mountkernfs $local_fs cloud-early-config
# Required-Stop:     $local_fs
# Should-Start:
# Should-Stop:
# Default-Start:     S
# Default-Stop:      0 6
# Short-Description: Web server that sends passwords to User VMs