Please see my comments inline.

-Jayapal

From: Alena Prokharchyk
Sent: Monday, October 15, 2012 10:04 PM
To: Jayapal Reddy Uradi; cloudstack-dev@incubator.apache.org
Subject: Re: StaticNAT, Portforwarding and FIrewall implemenation on the SRX

From: Jayapal Reddy Uradi
<jayapalreddy.ur...@citrix.com<mailto:jayapalreddy.ur...@citrix.com>>
To: Alena Prokharchyk
<alena.prokharc...@citrix.com<mailto:alena.prokharc...@citrix.com>>,
"cloudstack-dev@incubator.apache.org<mailto:cloudstack-dev@incubator.apache.org>"

<cloudstack-dev@incubator.apache.org<mailto:cloudstack-dev@incubator.apache.org>>

Hi Alena,

Please see my comments inline,

-Jayapal

-----Original Message-----
From: Alena Prokharchyk
Sent: Friday, October 12, 2012 10:19 PM
To: Jayapal Reddy Uradi;
cloudstack-dev@incubator.apache.org<mailto:cloudstack-dev@incubator.apache.org>
Subject: Re: StaticNAT, Portforwarding and FIrewall implemenation on the
SRX
Jayapal, please see my comments inline.
-Alena.
On 10/11/12 11:07 PM, "Jayapal Reddy Uradi"
<jayapalreddy.ur...@citrix.com<mailto:jayapalreddy.ur...@citrix.com>> wrote:
>Alena,
>
>Please find my inline comments.
>
>Thanks,
>Jayapal
>
>Thanks,
>Jayapal

Still doesn't work like the regular Firewall rule. You enabled Firewall for port
22 on P1, and for port 80 on P2 and it results in being able to access port
22/80
on P2? Firewall rule on one public IP should never affect the behavior of
another public IP. That's not how Firewall rule is supposed to work.

>7. Now P1 and P2 both can access the VM port 22 - /// you haven't
>created the Firewall rule for the P2, yet the access from it is enabled
>implicitly to 22:22 port. It's very confusing. In other words, the
>firewall rule created for P1 ip should never ever control the access to
>P2 ip address.
>

>We need to fix the original issue - make StaticNat rules on the SRX.
>For that we have to treat firewall rule as a static nat rule for a
>particular port by SRX device if the static nat is enabled for this
>public ip address in the cloudStack. In all other cases Firewall rule
>should be just ignored.
>
>//Jayapal
>I agree with ignoring firewall for port forwarding.
>But in VR the PF rule works only after adding  Firewall rule for the
>public ports.
It is ok to leave it the old way for the SRX. Your limitation clearly says that
you
can't control the public IP / ports on the SRX anyway. So lets just fix the
Static
nat rule; it would also leave less chance for regressing in PF rules
functionality.

>CASE1:
>
>* Get Ip1.
>* Create PF rule for IP1 and port 22 VM1. Now you can access the Vm1.
>* Create firewall rule for Ip1. SRX should just ignore this request as
>it will not do anything
>

>CASE2:
>
>* Get IP2
>* Enable static nat on the IP2 and VM1. Nothing is sent to SRX just yet.
>* Create firewall rule for IP2 and ports 22-23. Send enable static nat
>for
>IP2/VM1 and port 22-23 to the SRX device
>* Repeat last step for each port (port range) you want to enable static
>nat for.
>
>//Jayapal
>In SRX,  below issue can still exist.
>Case3:
>In addition to CASE1, CASE2,  Create another PF rule for IP1 and port
>80 VM1. Now you can access the Vm1 port 80.
>Now P2 can access the port 80 without Firewall rule on Port 80.
>Because security policy in SRX  is not differentiated for Public IPs.
You can never create the PF or LB rule for the ip address that has Static nat
rule assigned.
[Jayapal]
But we can create
-  PF:  P1, VM V1 and ports 22-22
- Static NAT:  P2 VM V1, and Firewall port 80
Here P2 can access V1's ports 22, 80. This is specific to SRX.

If it was always the case for SRX, then we just have to document it. I believe
even with the initial design you've proposed, it would have been the case. You
can't control public ports with Firewall rules.
Please confirm.
[Jayapal]
 This case is always with the SRX.

>In other words, you have to make the translation of Firewall rule of
>the cloudStack to ConfigureStaticNat on SRX when the targeted public IP
>address is Static nat enabled. In all other cases Firewall commands
>should be just ignored by the SRX device.
>

>Let me know what you think,
>//Jayapal
>I agree with you.
>Current port forwarding rule have Public Port range and Private Port
>range.
>So port forwarding allows only the Public Ports that we added. Again
>allowing Ports using Firewall is of no use.
>Example:
>Port forwarding rule: public Ports 22 and private ports 22 Here Port
>Forwarding  can allow  only 22. so no need to explicitly add using the
>firewall to allow If you donĀ¹t want to allow the ports DELETE the Port
>Forwarding rule.
>On top of PF  adding Firewall rule to allow ports 22-80 of no use
>because there is port forwarding rule for 23-80.
It's allright. We can change the UI to disable Firewall rule block on the
networking diagram (when the PF provider is SRX). So only PF/LB and Static
nat functionality will be enabled. For opening ports for static nat the UI will
still be using createFirewall rule calls, but it will not be shown to the user
as
"Firewall"