I would like to work on enhancing EIP/ELB functionality present in
CloudStack, so that highly available and fault-tolerant application can be
architected using CloudStack deployments at a region level. EIP and ELB
are both AWS networking features that help building fault-tolerant, highly
available application architectures on top of AWS [1],[2],[3]. Idea of
this enhancement is to leverage the RHI (Route Health Injection) and GSLB
functionalities available in application delivery controllers that provide
HA/DR solutions in Active-Active data centre configuration to provide AWS
style EIP and ELB functionality in CloudStack. I opened enhancement
requests 652, 653 for tracking.

CLOUDSTACK-652: High Availability: EIP enhancements
CLOUDSTACK-653: High Availability: implement GSLB (Global Server Load
Balancing) capability for ELB service

Also another complementery effort I would like to work on is close the gap
between CloudStack implementation of ELB with that of AWS w.r.t to
CloudStack ability to auto-scale up/down request handling capacity. This
would require CloudStack to orchestrate provisioning load balancer
appliances. I opened enhancement requests 654, 655 for tracking. 655 is
pre-requisite for 654.

CLOUDSTACK-654: ELB: auto-scale request handling capacity by
provisioningLB appliances
CLOUDSTACK-655: framework for CloudStack to orchestrate virtual network
appliances to provide network services

This effort in general would involve two parts. First, coming up with
framework/abstraction/generic configuration etc with out any particular
assumption of ADC or network appliance. Second, ADC/appliance specific
implementation that would realise the functionality. For the second part,
I would be primarily working on NetScaler ADC. If any one interested in
contributing support for other appliances/ADC I would be happy to work
toward integration.

I would be starting POC to uncover the issue in supporting cross zone
operation with CloudStack. I hope to come with up a functional
requirements spec by early next week.

[1] http://media.amazonwebservices.com/AWS_Disaster_Recovery.pdf
[2]
http://media.amazonwebservices.com/AWS_Building_Fault_Tolerant_Applications
.pdf
[3]
http://support.rightscale.com/09-Clouds/AWS/02-Amazon_EC2/Designing_Failove
r_Architectures_on_EC2/00-Best_Practices_for_using_Elastic_IPs_(EIP)_and_Av
ailability_Zones

-Murali