>So if I understand this correctly, the message bus is only used by the
>management server as a queue for events to forward to some other
>endpoint?

Chip,

Message bus is just abstraction (with publish, subscribe, unsubscribe
semantics), used to push action events, alerts, usage events and resource
state changes to external message broker. Any component (core component or
plugin) in CloudStack can both publish and subscribe to the events.While
one model is for external (non-cloudstack) component to directly get the
notification from message broker directly. An e.g. of this model is vCloud
director->AMQP broker->vCloud orchestrator. Other model is like amazon
SNS[2] suitable for public clouds where users can manage the subscriptions
and endpoints. My intent of the diagram was to convey the possibility of
pluggable service extension in CloudStack which can achieve this.

[1]
http://www.vcoteam.info/learn-vco/extend-vcloud-director-with-vcenter-orche
strator.html
[2] http://aws.amazon.com/sns/

p.s. Sorry, was busy with other work items, and was not actively working
to give update on progress. I am trying to close the pending issues and
planning to merge mid of next week.