On Wed, Feb 13, 2013 at 10:07 AM, Chip Childers
<chip.child...@sungard.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 13, 2013 at 09:59:39AM -0500, David Nalley wrote:
>> On Wed, Feb 13, 2013 at 9:50 AM, Chip Childers
>> <chip.child...@sungard.com> wrote:
>> > Hi all,
>> >
>> > I started a conversation within cloudstack-private@i.a.o about the
>> > prospect of graduation from the incubator, and have received positive
>> > reactions from everyone that replied.
>> >
>> > I wanted to kick off the discussion here on the public list, to see if
>> > anyone has any concerns or objections to us starting down the path of
>> > trying to graduate?
>> >
>> > My general impression is that we have come a long way as a community
>> > since CloudStack entered the incubator. While there are still rough edges
>> > for us to work through over time, we are dealing with our problems quite
>> > well as a community. The simple reason that I believe we are in a
>> > position to ask to graduate, is that we are no longer getting value from
>> > the incubation process!  That's a good thing, because it means that we
>> > have managed to learn quite a bit about the ASF processes, rules,
>> > methods and preferences.
>> >
>> > Thoughts, comments, discussion?
>> >

>> > If the community is in general agreement, we have some work to get done:
>> >
>> > We need to go through the podling status file, and ensure that we have
>> > completed everything that needs to be completed:
>> > http://incubator.apache.org/projects/cloudstack.html
>> >
>> > The CloudStack trademark is currently owned by Citrix.  We need to have
>> > that transfered to ASF prior to graduation.  David also suggested in the
>> > private list that we probably need to execute the formal ASF name
>> > search, for the purpose of providing the ASF with assurances that there
>> > are no surprise conflicts.
>> >
>> > Once we get the final pre-graduation requirements completed, we need to
>> > go through the process of attempting to graduate.  I suggest that folks
>> > take a minute to read through the Incubator's Guide to Successful
>> > Graduation page [1].
>> >
>> > The first step of the process seems to be to kick off a formal community
>> > vote to propose graduation to the IPMC.  If we vote to graduate, then we
>> > have to draft a charter / graduation resolution.  This is will be
>> > proposed to the IPMC for their review, and if passed in an IPMC vote we
>> > forward it to the ASF board for their vote during a monthly board
>> > meeting.
>> >

>> So I'd propose that instead of two votes for charter/resolution and
>> whether or not to vote, that we determine the overall community
>> feeling/consensus in this thread, and then vote to graduate with a
>> specific resolution as a single vote.
>>
>> --David
>>

> Many other podlings seem to have done it that way, and I'm in agreement
> to that approach.
>
> -chip

So after mulling this over a cup of coffee - I still like the idea,
but have seen the IPMC suggest changes to resolutions when they come
to that list. I don't want folks to think the resolution voted on is
immutable without a revote. Perhaps we draft the resolution on a
consensus basis.

--David