On Wed, Feb 27, 2013 at 9:52 PM, Chiradeep Vittal
<chiradeep.vit...@citrix.com> wrote:

> On 2/27/13 10:12 AM, "Sheng Yang" <sh...@yasker.org> wrote:
>
>>Per this case, if people thinks systemvm template can be hosted alone,
>>I would suggest use the tested ipv6 template for the whole 4.1
>>release, to avoid confusion.
>
> As long as it is documented, it shouldn't cause too much confusion. People
> are not likely to be using ipv6 by accident, especially since it is
> considered experimental.
> I am sure your template is fine, but an abundance of caution at this stage
> of the game would lead me to believe that it is best to go with the
> 2-pronged approach. If we were making this decision 3 weeks ago, I'd say,
> 'yeah, probably OK'.

I've sent out the notice when I branch out for IPv6, said it would
need a template. I stated so again when check in for 4.1 branch. And I
opened the bug for fixing this issue in 4.1. Thanks to Rohit, we
started discussion [3]. Everything looks fine.

But this thing still happened. Bug changed to 4.1 fix version, the
issue raised by QA at last minute.

I don't know how loud should I speak if we need a template for IPv6 in
4.1. Seems nobody cares.

>>Document the step to switch is fine, but two set of systemvm template
>>for one release would be tricky I think.
>
> Yes, but it is experimental.
>

>>And the change to the ipv6 systemvm template, is it just contained
>>upgraded dnsmasq(version 6.22). That's it, nothing changed beside
>>that. I kind of believe it should be mostly the same as before, tested
>>enough for default template.
>
> These are not strong, confident statements. To make it simpler, we could
> use approach 'B' with the caveat that it does not run the apt-get unless
> some explicit action is taken by the cloud admin. For example:
>  - a global flag (systemvm.ipv6.enable) or
>  - whenever an ipv6 subnet is created.

I don't think the thing would depends on if my statement is strong or confident.

I don't think we should let systemvm run apt-get things.

According to what I observed in the community, I think probably it's
right that people not quite interested in ipv6.

Probably we just revert the UI for 4.1 branch, and make API usable
with updated template.

--Sheng

[1] http://article.gmane.org/gmane.comp.apache.cloudstack.devel/10785
[2] http://article.gmane.org/gmane.comp.apache.cloudstack.devel/11387