Hi All,

As most of you are aware, the master branch keeps getting broken by checkins
for various reasons.  Committers need to be more responsible about their
checkins but I don't think we can depend on that happening.  There are various
reasons.  The most obvious to me is that granting committership is not based on
code competency.  (And I don't think it should.)  Given that we need to build a
BVT system for ensure that checkins do not break the branch.

Here's my proposal:

Existing components that we'll use.

-          Citrix has contributed its testing to Apache.

-          Apache CloudStack has already a simulator that's been used for scale
testing.

-          Marvin

-          DevCloud-kvm

Work Proposal:

-          Convert the Citrix testing into three phases:

o   Setup

o   Test

o   Verify

-          Add a Setup and Verify phase for the simulator

-          Add all of the agent commands necessary for the simulator to pass
the testing.

-          Add a Setup and Verify phase for devCloud-kvm

-          Add two more profiles to pom

o   Checkin-test-with-simulator: Runs the testing against the simulator

o   Checkin-test-with-devCloud: Runs the testing against devcloud

-          All of the profiles will attempt to also check the merge list that
Chip has proposed.'

-          We will also change marvin to easily add zones with actual hardware.
 It will be based on a data driven document to do the setup.

For a developer to checkin:

-          S/he must writes marvin tests for their feature and add it to the
BVT.

-          S/he must run the checkin tests to verify everything works.

-          If the feature contains a hardware/vpx component, simulation must be
added.

At this point, everything is about the developer writing in their feature
branch and merging in.

On infrastructure side:

-          We'll setup continuous BVT based on the simulator.

-          I again push that we must use Gerrit to test the code before it gets
merge into the branch but I'll leave that for someone else to do that.

Let me know what you guys think.  I'll probably break out a bvt branch to work
on this.  Anyone want to join me?

--Alex