Was AFK this weekend, thanks Chip for replying :)

On Fri, Mar 8, 2013 at 10:50 PM, Chip Childers
<chip.child...@sungard.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Mar 07, 2013 at 08:55:19PM -0700, Marcus Sorensen wrote:
>> Just for confirmation, we are going to require a new system VM in 4.2 (or
>> 5.0?), right?
>
> I believe that's the best thing to do, yes.

+1 Yes, the systemvm templates should be completely backward
compatible with the old one, this was the first aim.
Next, it allows people to customize their own, like add a package that
we want for some featureX.

>> What about upgrading, is there a facility for updating the
>> system VM template? I know there's the global setting that rebuilds the
>> system VMS on every reboot...
>
> I think that we need to document that process.  It will at least involve
> a DB change (which we should probably put into the upgrade scripts).

+1, I'll try to finish this by today:
https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/CLOUDSTACK/Build+Your+Own+SystemVM+Templates

And we will come up with upgrading/updating discussions. I'm trying to
make the new template backward compatible so we don't need to change
any scripts, systemvms are stateless so the upgrade process would be
easier just to kill/remove ol' systemvms.

> Then I assume that the user would need to destroy any existing system
> VMs, perhaps including the VRs.
>
> Also - we need a place to host the new system VMs.

One can build their own systemvms or get from jenkins:
32bit: http://jenkins.cloudstack.org/job/build-systemvm-master
64bit: http://jenkins.cloudstack.org/job/build-systemvm64-master (yes,
we've 64 bit systemvms now as well, needs testing though :)

Regards.

>  Does Citrix (someone
> that can represent Citrix) want to continue to donate that download
> location?  Or do we want to circle back to infra@ (referencing the old
> agreement from legal-discuss@) to ask for a place?

No idea.