*From:* Mike Tutkowski [mailto:mike.tutkow...@solidfire.com]
*Sent:* Wednesday, March 20, 2013 9:30 AM
*To:* cloudstack-dev@incubator.apache.org
*Cc:* Vladimir Popovski; Edison Su
*Subject:* Re: Storage Subsystem 2.0 plugin docs

Hi,

Yeah, CHAP is not supported in the CloudStack API when creating/editing
Primary Storage (in other words, you can't create an iSCSI-based Primary
Storage using CHAP).  To make it work for XenServer, for example, you need
to set up your Storage Repository in XenServer first, then go to CloudStack
and create a PreSetup-type Primary Storage.

The reason I want to create a storage plug-in for CS is because of my
particular use case.  The SAN my company builds supports guaranteed IOPS to
iSCSI targets.  What this means is we'd like to have a single VM or data
disk use a single one of our iSCSI targets so we can say that VM or data
disk is guaranteed a set number of IOPS.

The way CS works today is generally to have multiple VMs and data disks
share a single iSCSI target.  In that model, we can't guarantee IOPS to any
VM or data disk specifically (only to the volume as a whole).

Edison's storage framework for CS 4.2 should fix this issue.  When a VM is
spawned or a data disk created, the storage framework should make use of
the plug-in to dynamically create an iSCSI target and use it for the VM or
data disk in question only.

Talk to you later!

Mike

On Wed, Mar 20, 2013 at 10:16 AM, Vladimir Popovski <