VMware is a very different animal in CloudStack, the reason lies on the
integration point, in XS/KVM case, CloudStack manages hypervisor host
directly, while in VMware case, the integration point is at vCenter
instead of ESX/ESXi hosts, therefore, ESX/ESXi hosts are actually
indirectly managed by CloudStack through vCenter.

Why we chose this integration architecture is that most of VMware users
are enterprise users, CloudStack does not want to lose the whole VMware
ecosystem around its technology, it does not make sense to completely
duplicate/replace the features that vCenter has already provided,
especially that enterprise IT admins are already familiar with.

Kelven