-----Original Message-----

From: Stephen Kelly <steve...@gmail.com>
To: cmake-developers <cmake-developers@cmake.org>
Sent: Wed, Feb 6, 2013 8:17 am
Subject: Re: [cmake-developers] Deprecating qt4_use_modules and qt4_automoc?

David Cole wrote:

> I agree with Marcus. There's no reason to deprecate these (other than
> deprecating Qt4 entirely, but not yet) unless there's a significant code
> clarity advantage.

I think in the case of the qt4_automoc macro at least, there's some
technical issue with changes in dependencies. Alex knows more.

> What does it buy us to deprecate these things now?

Good advice in documentation I guess, if there's technical reasons not to
use them. From a porting point of view (in terms of porting to newer cmake
or newer Qt), it might be easier if they are not used (provided a new enough
cmake version is used).

It's never too early to have one eye on porting, and if the documentation
tells you that using a macro makes porting harder, you can take note :).
Also, if starting a new project, it makes sense to not use stuff (from the
beginning) that will not be available/is not recommended/has disadvantages.
For that though, there needs to be some indication of what is deprecated.

Thanks,

Steve.