What is the main use case for locking files and directories from the
CMake language?

I feel slightly uncomfortable, without being able to put my finger on
exactly why, with the prospect of adding this to CMake...

Behavior when there's a lock that still exists (by bug/mistake) after
CMake is done running is going to be strange and possibly
hard-to-diagnose / hard-to-understand.

Let's make sure the use case is quite strong before we accept the
possibility of "stale locks" in CMake.

Thanks,
David C.

On Fri, Oct 10, 2014 at 7:45 AM, Ruslan Baratov via cmake-developers
<cmake-developers@cmake.org> wrote:
> On 08-Oct-14 16:45, Brad King wrote:
>>
>> On 10/08/2014 07:52 AM, Ruslan Baratov wrote:
>>>
>>> Okay :) I just not sure that I understand "to pass to some other
>>> process" goal correctly.
>>
>> That was just an example of why one might want to drop management
>> of the lock by CMake without actually unlocking it.  Perhaps the
>> code is starting a daemon and passes off responsibility for the
>> unlock side to the daemon process.
>
> Okay, got it.
>>

>>> * we just need to `unlock` file so the other instance will use it:
>>> file(UNLOCK_FILE "/path/to/shared/file")
>>> # now anybody can do the lock
>>
>> Yes.  We also need the locking API to return information about
>> whether we really acquired the lock.
>
> So it can be TRY_LOCK and LOCK. But does the TRY_LOCK really needed? With
> LOCK we can try to lock and spin until acquire, but what to do with
> TRY_LOCK? Just give up?
>>

>>> * we need other process to "inherit" the lock (what for?), i.e. move
>>> ownership (?):
>>> file(LOCK_FILE "/path/to/shared/file")