Hi,

I spent a few hours on the extra-generators, and you can find the result here
on github:
https://github.com/neundorf/CMake/tree/RefactorExtraGeneratorsExperimental

In this branch, the extra-generators are not tied anymore hardcoded to the
generators (so the generator list is short again), but each extra-generator
can be enabled and disabled via a cmake option
CMAKE_ENABLE_EXTRA_GENERATOR_<name>.
I.e. for every build directory zero, one or multiple extra-generators can be
enabled and disabled (in an existing build tree).

This would e.g. also be suitable for a generic JSON-generator.

The code on github is not ready to be merged, and unfortunately I don't have
the time to bring it into mergeable state, including tests, documentation,
etc.

But if somebody is interested, you can have a look and give it a try.

Alex