Philip Lowman wrote:

For the first cut I think starting out with keeping the CMakified sources in the project would be fine. Many people are never going to want anything more complicated than this and we know that this will at least work for now.

CMake can already untar with -E mode. Adding download support wouldn't be too bad. Not sure how you would handle patching though. A nicer solution than above would be storing the original tarball + patch in the CM of your project and then having CMake untar + apply it at configure time. Then you could optionally add download support on top of that for anyone that wants the ability of their project to properly to build to depend on some server out there in the cloud (not me).

In CVS CMake the file command can download files already (file DOWNLOAD). We are working on some projects that will need to do things like this at Kitware. There is also a bug here:

It somewhat relates to this issue.

-Bill