Matthew Woehlke wrote:

Makefile : cmake_check_build_system

Shouldn't this rather be:
Makefile: <list of CMakeLists.txt, etc>
    cmake_check_build_system
?

...in which case, the only thing that should get checked is if the CMakeLists.txt are newer than the Makefile. So in most cases this should be fast.

We need to run cmake_check_build_system first because make can not handle missing depend .h files. The check build system step makes sure the current set of depends won't kill make. It is also useful for getting around some other make limitations that I can not remember right now.

-Bill