James Yoo wrote:
I thought I had installed the dev version of ncurses.. which is why I had to put the headers and libs in a non-standard location.... in anycase, if you think I can just use the 32bit bin to compile packages on a 64bit machine I will give that a try.

What linux distro are you using? You should need something like apt-get install ncurses-devel. You may have to install the 32 bit compatibility libraries on the machine to run 32 bit.

-Bill