Jesper Eskilson wrote:

- Be able to do "make {Debug|Release|...}".
- Be able to use the same infrastructure for running cmake both on Unix and Windows. I currently have to maintain two different ways of running cmake: one for single-config build directories, and another for multiple-config build directories.
- Be able to build multiple configurations in parallel.

I am pretty sure there is a feature request for this already in the bug tracker. It would be nice, but so far no one has "needed" it enough to either fund its development or contribute a patch. :)
I'd also like a Makefile-generator which fokuses only on GNU make. I get the feeling that much of the stuff which goes into the makefiles today are there in order to maintain compatibility with things like Watcom and Borland.

That is not true at all. There are a few things but not much. I don't think the makefiles would benefit in any significant way by using gmake. Do you have a specific feature that is missing?

-Bill