On 31. Aug, 2009, at 7:08, King, Steven R wrote:

Can't you put all executables and shared libraries in one directory, so they
are all local to each other?
In the top level CMakeLists.txt file just add
SET(CMAKE_RUNTIME_OUTPUT_DIRECTORY ${CMAKE_BINARY_DIR}/bin)
SET(CMAKE_LIBRARY_OUTPUT_DIRECTORY ${CMAKE_BINARY_DIR}/bin)

The executables you specify in ADD_TEST() will have a working directory that
is ${CMAKE_CURRENT_BINARY_DIR}

Thanks Clint and Tyler and others for your patient help. The consolidated binary directory didn't work.

I now put all my binaries and libraries in ${CMAKE_BINARY_DIR}/bin as Clint suggested. This caused ctest to fail for lack of knowing where the test binary went. I made this adjustment:

add_test    (
           test_my_module
           ${CMAKE_BINARY_DIR}/bin/test_my_module
           )

This will only work on Unix like systems. Doesn't CTest figure out that the program name is a target? I.e. doesn't this work (provided you did add_executable(test_my_module ...)):

add_test(test_my_module test_my_module)

which allowed ctest to find the executable. However, the executable still can't find the dll, since ctest runs the test from $ {CMAKE_CURRENT_BINARY_DIR} which is apparently not equal to $ {CMAKE_RUNTIME_OUTPUT_DIRECTORY}. As we've just belabored, putting the dll in ${CMAKE_CURRENT_BINARY_DIR} is neither easy nor well advised.

Well, how about passing the ${CMAKE_RUNTIME_OUTPUT_DIRECTORY} as an argument to your test program, and then in the test program construct the full path to the plugin library? Or as an alternative, configure a source file defining the path to the CMAKE_RUNTIME_OUTPUT_DIRECTORY as a variable:

CMakeLists.txt:
------>8-------
# construct the file name of the loadable module (could also use the deprecated LOCATION property) set(MODULE_PATH "CMAKE_RUNTIME_OUTPUT_DIRECTORY/$ {CMAKE_SHARED_MODULE_PREFIX}my_module${CMAKE_SHARED_MODULE_SUFFIX}")
file(TO_NATIVE "${MODULE_PATH}" MODULE_PATH)
# configure the test source
configure_file(${CMAKE_CURRENT_SOURCE_DIR}/test_my_module.c.in $ {CMAKE_CURRENT_BINARY_DIR}/test_my_module.c @ONLY)
# create the test executable
add_executable(test_my_module ${CMAKE_CURRENT_BINARY_DIR}/ test_my_module.c)
# add a test named test_my_module, running test_my_module
add_test(test_my_module test_my_module)
------<8-------

test_my_module.c.in:
------>8------
/* TODO make this work cross-platform */
#include <dlfcn.h>
#define MODULE_PATH "@MODULE_PATH@"

int main() {
  void* my_module = dlopen(MODULE_PATH, RTLD_NOW | RTLD_LOCAL);
  /* whatever you want to do */
  return 0;
}

OK, now I'm actually getting worried.  Any other ideas, please?

I hope you get the idea from above...

Again my goal is to simply bring a dll and it's test program together so they run happily ever after.

Thanks,
-steve

HTH

Michael