On 26.09.2009, at 19:33, Eric Noulard <eric.noul...@gmail.com> wrote:

2009/9/26 Michael Wild <them...@gmail.com>:
Usually I use

cvs update -dARP

which IMHO should probably be the default, because that's what people (i.e.
me) expect from an update.

-dRP are ok even if I think R is not needed, however you usually don't
want A unless you want to checkout cvs HEAD.

As I said, people refers mainly to me, and that's the behaviour I want... But you're right, of course.

Are there any plans for CMake (and other Kitware projects) to switch over to
a more contemporary VCS, such as git, hg or bzr (in the order of my
preference :-))?

You may already set up a git cvsimport repository which may be
updated daily/hourly. That way you may git clone + branch
from the cvs-imported repo and use git instead of cvs.

If the cvs imported repo is publicly available
other may benefits from your GIT repo.

I am doing this with ParaView, but I find it to be rather fragile. Especially the option which supposedly should prevent "noisy commits" (can't remember it's name right now) caused git cvsimport to actually lose commits. Strange thing is, the commits showed up in the log of the CVS parsing program just fine... I think the main problem is that CVS only tracks individual files and has no notion of commit sets.