No, it should be empty because he wants to test whether HELLO is in LIBS. But inside the IF statement, the ${VALUE} that evaluates to LIB (a member of LIBS) gets then expanded again to HELLO.

Quite funny actually. However, reading the manpage closely only the left-hand value of STREQUAL gets expanded, so reversing the statement solves the problem.

Michael