On 23. Dec, 2009, at 15:14 , Marcel Loose wrote:

> On Wed, 2009-12-23 at 14:12 +0100, Michael Wild wrote:

>>> Hi Michael,
>>>
>>> I don't think you'll need to prefix the library names with either
>>> PRIVATE_ or PUBLIC_. CMake could figure out whether "public1" and
>>> "public2" are shared or static libraries. If they are shared libraries,
>>> then the libraries marked as private ("private1" and "private2") do not
>>> have to be linked in as well. Otherwise they must also be linked in. I
>>> assume that CMake keeps a list internally, of all dependent targets; the
>>> private libs should only be added to that internal list if the public
>>> libs are static libs.
>>>
>>> I don't completely understand your example. Are you suggesting that
>>> you'll run into trouble if you have a library named "PRIVATE"? I think
>>> name clashes will currently occur as well if I name my library "debug",
>>> "optimized", or "general".
>>>
>>> Maybe, it would be better if the FindXXX modules would handle this. On
>>> the other hand, you then depend on third parties to properly update
>>> their FindXXX modules, or have to rewrite them yourselves :-(
>>>
>>> Best regards,
>>> Marcel Loose.
>>>

>> No, it won't work. For example, if FindA.cmake does
>>
>>  set(A_LIBRARIES /some/path/libA.so
>>      PRIVATE /some/other/path/libX.a /some/other/path/libY.a)
>>
>> and FindB.cmake contains
>>
>>  # notice that this is a static library!
>>  set(B_LIBRARIES /some/path/libB.a)
>>

>> then the call
>>
>>  target_link_libraries(C ${A_LIBRARIES} ${B_LIBRARIES})
>>
>> expands to (wrapped for legibility
>>
>>  target_link_libraries(C
>>      /some/path/libA.so
>>      PRIVATE /some/other/path/libX.a
>>      /some/other/path/libY.a
>>      /some/path/libB.a)
>>
>> which is different in meaning from
>>
>>  target_link_libraries(C ${B_LIBRARIES} ${A_LIBRARIES})
>>
>> which becomes
>>
>>  target_link_libraries(C
>>      /some/path/libB.a
>>      /some/path/libA.so
>>      PRIVATE
>>      /some/other/path/libX.a
>>      /some/other/path/libY.a)
>>
>> In the first case libB.a becomes marked as PRIVATE of libA.so! Not very nice
>> if you ask me ;-)
>>
>> Michael
>
> Hi Michael,
>
> I never suggested that A_LIBRARIES should be set to contain "PRIVATE". I
> suggested to add a keyword "PRIVATE" to the target_link_libraries
> command.

Ok, but then how does FindA.cmake communicate that libA.a needs some private
libraries? Does the user then have to do

target_link_libraries(C ${A_LIBRARIES} ${B_LIBRARIES}
    PRIVATE ${A_PRIVATE_LIBRARIES} ${B_PRIVATE_LIBRARIES})

How, then, does CMake know that it should link ${B_PRIVATE_LIBRARIES} but NOT
${A_PRIVATE_LIBRARIES} if ${A_LIBRARIES} is a shared library and ${B_LIBRARIES}
is a static library?

Michael