Filed and fixed this bug : http://public.kitware.com/Bug/view.php?id=11436

Should be fixed by this commit, just merged to 'next' :
http://cmake.org/gitweb?p=cmake.git;a=commitdiff;h=b3cf739e2c784fbd6c8a93c1ac91bd4bcea5acbf

Please confirm, if you can build from CMake 'next'...

Thanks!

By the way: the location of the line:
set_property(GLOBAL PROPERTY USE_FOLDERS ON)

...should not matter... As you can see from the diff of the commit, in
the test, I added that as the last line. The value of the property is
used at "Generate" time to decide whether to include the folder
information in the generated solution/project files or not. So as long
as its value is set *somewhere* in the CMakeLists.txt file, it should
work. I suspect you were thinking it wasn't working because of the bug
itself, and then moved it to the top at the same time you added an
empty custom target to see if it was an include_external_msproject
bug...

Thanks for the report,
David