On 03/14/2011 06:42 PM, arrowdodger wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 14, 2011 at 7:16 PM, Michael Hertling <mhertl...@online.de>wrote:
>
>> 2) If you collect the affected files in a separate directory - which is
>>   probably recommendable anyway - you might set CMAKE_C_COMPILE_OBJECT,
>>   CMAKE_C_CREATE_SHARED_LIBRARY, CMAKE_C_LINK_EXECUTABLE etc. as well
>>   as their CXX counterparts in that directory to whatever suits your
>>   needs, and you can refer to the special placeholders <DEFINES>,
>>   <FLAGS> etc. from within the abovementioned rule variables.
>>

> Oh, CMAKE_C_COMPILE_OBJECT is a rule for compiling *.c file, not *.o?

To be exact, it's a rule variable which describes how to compile a C
source file to an object file. On my system, it currently expands to:

<CMAKE_C_COMPILER> <DEFINES> <FLAGS> -o <OBJECT> -c <SOURCE>

AFAIK, these rule variables can be redefined and have the usual
directory scope; the bracketed placeholders have a special meaning
when the rule is used to generate command lines in a Makefile, e.g.
So, you might set CMAKE_C_COMPILE_OBJECT in a directory to whatever
is necessary to compile a C source file to byte code while you can
refer to flags, preprocessor definitions and the source and object
file via the placeholders. With just a few files to be byte-code-
compiled, that's possibly more appropriate than defining a new
language for this purpose.

Regards,

Michael